Kate Langbroek has opened up about the difficulties she and her family have been facing as Italy’s strict lockdown measures scale past a month.
The radio star, 54, has said the streets have come to a “grind” since the country closed down nearly everything except their essential services on March 9.
View this post on Instagram
While speaking in the Channel Ten documentary Coronavirus Australia: Our Story, the personality said that “Australians now are where we were a few weeks ago.”
“And the only way to sort of stop it seems to be by having a lockdown. The streets are reminiscent of some sort of Armageddon-ish movie starring Will Smith, I guess.'”
Kate went on to say the lockdown was a welcomed relief at first, but her perception has changed over time.
“When lockdown comes, and this will sound strange, but it's almost kind of a relief because it's a circuit break and the sudden stopping of everything is almost a form of respite,” she explained.
However, she said the lockdown is now a “grind” and that the “days run together and inexplicably it becomes harder and harder to get out of bed. You try to maintain a routine.
“And the interesting thing about it is how exhausting doing nothing can be.”
The TV star revealed her husband, Peter Allen Lewis, is currently being sued by the city of Bologna for breaking lockdown rules.
Kate told Triple M’s Moonman in the Morning that Peter had been seen riding his bicycle in public three weeks ago, entirely unaware of the strict restrictions put in place.
“You cannot leave the house. I've probably left the house five times probably. It's just very difficult,” she said, adding that Bologna residents are not even allowed to walk a dog.
The pair have been home-schooling their children Lewis, Sunday, Artie and Jan for six weeks.
Kate and Peter relocated from Melbourne to Italy with their children in early 2019 for what was supposed to be a “family gap year” but have since extended their stay by another 12 months.
This article originally appeared on Over60.