William Tyrrell’s biological grandmother has spoken with A Current Affair about the ongoing pain and heartache she has suffered – while sharing her insights into the seven-year-long case.

“He’s not alive. I knew he wasn’t alive for the last seven years. So, I’m just scared,” the woman, who cannot be identified, told ACA‘s Steve Marshall.

The grandmother shared she feels the loss for both for her grandson William and her own son, whose drug and alcohol issues have raged since the little boy’s disappearance seven years ago.

“My son’s been locked behind bars and treated like shear s—t …That’s all I can say. I’m just being honest. You know, from day one. When this all started, I told thousands of people what I thought happened. My police statement, I’ve been honest,” the woman said.

“That’s where my heart’s been.”

The grandmother has also revealed details of the supervised visits that her son and his partner had with William, while he was in the care of his foster parents.

“So, we were like just having a little picnic – out jumps the foster care mother … about like giving the kids lollipops and Kinder Surprises,” she said.

“So she’s just like watching what’s going on. Like and my son used to always say he was too scared to love his kids … he was too scared to love them for an hour … supervised visits.”

While there are theories circulating within the current investigation over what might have happened to William, his grandmother said she doesn’t believe the theory that he might have fallen from the balcony and his body disposed of.

“I don’t think anyone really knows what happened that morning,” the grandmother said.

Until recently, the woman said she thought the police investigation, led by former detective Gary Jubelin, was a mess.

“Well, they didn’t they didn’t like, let me know or let anybody know,” the woman said.

“…We knew nothing. Like … the first time I met Gary Jubelin was in the inquest. He walked past me, and I said to him, ‘that’s right, keep walking’,” she said.

Emails from William’s case worker in 2014 reveal the foster parents were making enquiries to adopt William and discussions were even had on the morning the little boy vanished.

William’s grandmother also reacted to William Tyrrell’s foster parents being charged over the assault of a child who is not William Tyrrell.

“I was like beside myself, I couldn’t believe it. And like I always had, I once had that feeling that that was going on something was going on. So, I was pretty upset,” the grandmother said in reaction to the unrelated charges.

After seven years of wondering, and four days into a renewed search, the heartache remains for William’s biological grandma.

“Like I’m really scared when I hear something and my phone rings … I’m scared … If they’re going to find him or bones or whatever. I’m terrified,” she said.

Image: A Current Affair 

This article first appeared on Over60.