Advertisement

The William Tyrrell case has taken another turn with reports emerging that NSW police have been sued by a man wrongly accused over the toddler’s disappearance.

Sky news Political Editor Andrew Clennell on Sunday said the “wrongly accused” man received a payout of about half-a-million dollars from NSW Police, and that together with added legal costs the total sum paid out by police reportedly reached $1 million.

“There are fears another wrongly accused suspect, who was the subject of accusations when [former lead detective] Gary Jubelin was in charge of the case, might also sue NSW Police,” he said.

William remains missing with NSW Police now well into a renewed search. Investigators are expecting to find the toddler’s body in Kendall on the NSW Mid North Coast where he disappeared in 2014.

Police on over the weekend took a hessian bag from the scene with at least two additional pieces of fabric placed in evidence bags and sent off for forensic testing.

Elements of the search are expected to be subterranean, and it could be a matter of weeks or months before it comes to a conclusion, with police having so far scoured just 10-20% of the area.

A $1 million reward also remains in place for anyone with information leading to a conviction.

Last week, William Tyrrell’s foster parents were charged with an unrelated assault as part of the task force’s ongoing investigations and are due to face Hornsby Local Court on Tuesday.

Image: NSW Police 

This article first appeared on Over60.

Never miss a deal again - sign up now!