It can be difficult to identify hidden mould in an older home. However, once you have discovered it, you can learn to eliminate it forever.
Spores are small, often incognito little gremlins that can grow from one to many in a very short amount of time. They can remain invisible for months or even years, but if they are left alone, they can slowly take over your house and affect your family's health.
So, what should you do to identify exactly where those unwanted little spores are lurking?
Energy-efficiency expert and scientist Jenny Edwards from Light House Architecture and Science has uncovered helpful mould precautions tips specifically for Australian homes.
Tip 1: Don’t block off airways
In the winter months it is easy to close the blinds early and lock in the heat from the heater. However, doing this will create a petri dish of mould in your room, especially bathrooms. Edwards suggests that you should always install a new extractor fan in the bathrooms of older homes. It will stop the moisture from growing spores.
Handy hint: Keep the extractor fan on after you leave the shower because it needs time to work.
Tip 2: Try not to dry your clothes inside
Sometimes drying your clothes inside is unavoidable. However, if there is a ray of sunshine outside and a slight breeze, try and let your garments blow in the wind. Wet clothes drying inside will increase the moisture in the air and lead to condensation. Condensation, of course, grows the mould and that is what we are trying to avoid.
Handy hint: If you do dry clothes inside then at least put them in the sunniest room in the house and have the windows open to allow some sun and air in.
Tip 3: What do to if your house already has mould
You can be super cautious and attentive but mould can still creep through the cracks. So, if you do discover mould that you missed upon execution, here is what you do.
CEO for Mycology Dr Heike Neumeister-Kemp says that the best way to get rid of mould is using white vinegar and a microfibre cloth. If there is a huge amount of mould that you can't reach, then the last resort would be to use a dehumidifier to attack the build-up of moisture.
If you live in a home that is a little older, have a building inspector check for any mould if you think you can smell it but can’t find the source of. It can make the difference.
Handy hint: The best way to get rid of mould is using white vinegar and a microfibre cloth.
- 9 tips for how best to present a home for sale
- These 10 reno tips could save you $10,000!
- How to keep grandchildren safe in your home
What are your best mould-fighting stratergies? Share in the comments sections below.