A man is counting his blessings after almost dying when he stepped out of the shower.
First reported by Live Science, a 34-year-old man was found on the floor by his family, struggling to breathe and covered in hives.
It follows after he stepped out of hot shower and into the cold air, with his family saying he has a “history” of being “allergic to the cold weather.”
The Journal of Emergency Medicine writes that the man was experiencing a whole-body allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.
Ambulance officers treated the man with epinephrine and oxygen.
“Doctor’s confirmed the man’s diagnosis using an “ice cube test,” which involves placing an ice cube on the skin for about 5 minutes. If the patient develops a raised, red bump on the skin where the ice cube was, they are diagnosed with cold urticaria,” Live Science reported.
The condition is uncommon but can be caused by the cold as it releases chemical histamines in the immune system.
Research has found it can be inherited and can be triggered by a viral infection or a number of cancers.
This article originally appeared on Over60.