Queensland reveals decision regarding state border

The Premier of Queensland, Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced that borders will open up for all states except Victoria, after revealing she had “big concerns” about community transmission in the state.

Queensland will strengthen their border to Victoria this Friday. Visitors from other states include NSW, SA, ACT, WA, Tasmania and NT will be able to enter Queensland from July 10 after signing a border declaration form to declare that they had not recently visited Victoria. 

However, if someone has travelled to Victoria, including residents of Queensland, they will not be permitted to enter or be forced to quarantine at a hotel at their own expense.

Palaszczuk revealed the changes during a press conference this afternoon along with announcing the state will enter stage 3 restrictions from Friday July 3 – one week early.

Border patrols will continue to apply.

If visitors falsify the border document, they could face penalties of $4,000.

“We don’t take these decisions lightly,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“They’ve been given careful consideration from the Chief Health Officer and the Government.

“We believe we have the balance right.

“We are in a really good position at the moment.”

Palaszcuk expressed her frustration that Queensland had been singled out, instead of South Australia and Tasmania.

The Premier said fights were being picked at different states and she did not think it was “good enough”.

In easing restrictions, there will be no limits on spectators and caps on weddings will be lifted.

Private gatherings will increase from 20 people to 100 people, for places like homes, weddings and funerals.

Small businesses under 100sqm, the 2sqm rule will now apply in a bid to boost the number of people visiting businesses.

Casinos will reopen.

All of these new restrictions still require strict obedience to the 1.5m social distancing rules.

This article originally appeared on Over60.