Super easy asparagus tartlets
Bread crusted tartlets are like a little hot sandwiches - lower in fat than pastry they are well suited for a healthy breakfast or a packed lunch.
Showcase everyone's favourite spring vegetable with this simple yet sophisticated appetizer.
Recipe from the Australian Asparagus Council.
2-3 teaspoons olive oil
12 slices bread
3 bunches asparagus, ends snapped off
3 free range eggs, beaten
100g feta cheese, crumbled
100g tasty cheese, grated
4 spring onions, sliced
Pepper to taste
Roasted red capsicum, cut into strips to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush muffin pans with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Using kitchen scissors, cut each slice of bread into a round. Press into muffin pans.
- Cut 6 cm tips from asparagus, brush with rest of oil and reserve. Slice asparagus stalks thinly.
- Combine eggs, feta and tasty cheese with sliced asparagus stalks, spring onions and pepper. Spoon mixture into bread cases. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Arrange reserved asparagus tips on tartlets. Bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve topped with red capsicum strips (if using).