Asparagus with Spanish Eggs and Chorizo
Try these tasty little pots of goodness to start the day or serve for a light meal with plenty of warmed tortilla.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 chorizo sausage, diced (see Tip)
2 long red chillies, deseeded and diced
8 tomatoes, diced
2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, chopped
Freshly grinded pepper and salt
4 free range eggs
Additional asparagus, trimmed
Additional 1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C. Heat a frying pan over medium to high heat. Add oil to pan, and cook the onion and chorizo until softened and starting to colour.
2. Add the garlic, chilli, tomatoes and asparagus and cook for a further 8 minutes until liquid has reduced and becomes like a stew consistency. Add coriander and seasoning to taste.
3. Arrange four ramekins on a baking tray and divide the tomato mixture evenly between the 4 dishes. Crack the eggs over the tomato mix and bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
4. Meanwhile, steam additional asparagus or cook in the same oven (arrange on a baking tray, brush with a little oil, and add to the oven for the last 10 minutes of cooking time). Serve Spanish Eggs topped with the steamed asparagus.
- Use your choice of spicy or mild chorizo.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
Recipe from Asparagus Council Australia.