This is a delicious, healthy pasta-free lasagne. You can layer the aubergine or roll it up like a cannelloni and either way is perfect for a satisfying Italian feast.
Photography © 2016 Peter Cassidy
153 calories | 10.3g fat | 2.7g saturates | 0.3g sugar | 0.9g salt | 15.5g protein | 0.2g fibre
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large aubergines, cut into 1 cm slices
1⁄2 white onion, finely chopped
450g lean beef mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato puree
2 tablespoons tomato purée
Handful of fresh basil, shredded
30ml vegetable stock
150g salad leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 6.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick griddle pan over a high heat and grill the aubergine slices for a couple of minutes on each side until nice and brown (you may have to do this in batches as it’s important not to crowd the pan).
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan and cook the onion over a medium to high heat for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the mince and sauté for 2-3 minutes, just to brown, then add the garlic, tomato purees, a tablespoon of basil and half the stock, cover and simmer for 3–4 minutes.
5. Take a lasagne dish and line the base with aubergine slices. Spoon over a third of the Bolognese sauce, then cover with a layer of aubergine slices and repeat until all the sauce is used up and finishing with a layer of aubergine on top.
6. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 15-18 minutes. If you prefer a crunchy top, remove the foil at the end, spray with a little extra oil and place under the grill for 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve with a scattering of fresh basil and a bright, fresh green salad.