Avocado, spinach and basil pesto with spaghetti
Nothing says satisfaction like a great big bowl of pasta. This avocado, spinach and basil pesto with spaghetti dish is sure to hit your spot!
1 tbs olive oil
200g grape tomatoes, halved lengthways
Avocado, spinach & basil pesto
75g baby spinach leaves
2 ripe avocados, halved and deseeded
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 cups basil leaves, plus extra to serve
⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
¼ cup grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
Salt and pepper, to season
To cook pasta:
1. Cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions.
2. Drain spaghetti, reserving ¼ cup cooking water, and set pasta aside.
To make pesto:
1. Meanwhile, to make the pesto, place spinach into a medium heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water, toss until leaves wilt. Drain well and squeeze spinach dry.
2. Scoop avocado flesh into a food processor and add spinach, lemon juice, oil, garlic, basil and toasted pine nuts. Process until smooth.
3. Stir through parmesan.
4. Heat olive oil in the saucepan over medium heat; add tomatoes and cook, tossing, until hot.
5. Add spaghetti, reserved pasta water and pesto to pan.
6. Gently toss over heat until just combined.
7. Place in a large serving bowl and sprinkle with extra basil leaves, grated parmesan and season to taste.
For more avocado recipes, visit australianavocados.com.au.