Beef and red wine pies
These tasty pies are full of flavour and a great winter warmer!
Recipe reproduced with permission. © 2015 National Heart Foundation of Australia. For more healthy recipes visit www.heartfoundation.org.au/recipes or speak to the Heart Foundation’s Health Information Service on 1300 36 27 87.
2 tsp peanut oil*
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1kg beef chuck steak trimmed of all fat and cubed*
2 tbs plain flour
200g Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
2 tbs fresh thyme chopped
2 tbs fresh parsley chopped
2 sheets canola puff pastry defrosted
1 tbs reduced fat milk*
375ml red wine
375ml reduced salt beef stock
2 carrots thinly sliced
2 tbs reduced salt tomato paste
Mashed potato and steamed beans to serve
*Products available with the Tick. Remember all fresh fruit and vegetables automatically qualify for the Tick.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. You will need 6 x 2 cup capacity ovenproof pie dishes.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the garlic and the beef and cook for 5 minutes until the beef is browned.
3. Add the flour and tomato paste and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the red wine and stock and bring to the boil. Add the carrots, mushrooms and chopped thyme. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour then remove the lid and cook for a further 45 minutes until the beef is tender and the sauce is reduced and thickened. Stir through the parsley, transfer to a bowl and allow the filling to cool completely.
4. Using the top of a pie dish as a guide, cut 6 circles from the pastry, about 2cm larger than the dish. Spoon the cooled filling into the dishes. Brush the edges of each pastry circle with a little water then cover the dishes (damp side down); pressing the pastry to the side of the dish to seal. Cut a small cross in the top of each pie, insert a sprig of thyme and lightly brush with milk.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden and the filling is hot. Serve the pies with mashed potato and steamed beans.