Blackberry, yogurt and pistachio cake
Make the best of the fresh blackberry season with this delicious, zesty cake this summer.
⅓ cup (45g) pistachios
250g butter, softened
1 lemon, finely zested
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
2½ cups (375g) self-raising flour
½ cup (40g) shredded coconut
1 cup (250g) Greek style yogurt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons pistachios, roughly chopped
Extra blackberries, to serve
Double cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 22cm round cake tin, line base with baking paper.
2. Place pistachios in a food processor and pulse until ground, set aside. Place butter, zest and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one by one, beating well in between additions. If mixture splits slightly, add a little of the flour to recombine.
3. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the ground pistachio, flour, coconut and yogurt. Fold through ½ the berries. Spoon mixture into prepared pan, spread evenly with a plastic spatula.
4. Scatter remaining berries, sugar and pistachios on top. Bake uncovered for about 50–60 minutes or until golden and firm to touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes in tin then transfer to a cooling rack.
5. Serve cake warm or at room temperature with double cream and extra fresh blackberries.
Recipe from Fresh Aussie Raspberries and Blackberries - freshberries.com.au