Boiled eggs with asparagus and bacon soldiers
Super easy to make and delicious to bite into, try this twist on an English breakfast with added asparagus for a healthier kick.
12 asparagus spears
12 rashers smoked streaky bacon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 large eggs, at room temperature
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Take one rasher of bacon and one asparagus spear and, starting at one end, tightly wrap the bacon around the asparagus. Repeat until you have all the spears assembled.
2. Place the butter and oil in a frying pan large enough to hold all the asparagus at once. When the butter has melted, add the prepared asparagus. Repeat until you have all the spears assembled.
3. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water with a slotted spoon. If you like a really soft, dippy egg, cook for 5½ to 6 minutes. If you like your eggs a little harder, cook for a further minute or two. (Remember, they will become hard boiled if cooked for 9 to 10 minutes.)
4. While the eggs are cooking, turn the asparagus spears every couple of minutes until they are an even golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide between two plates and serve.
This is an edited extract from The Pioppi Diet by Dr Aseem Halhotra & Donal O'Neill, Penguin Books, RRP $24.99.
About the book
A diet that allows red wine, chocolate and the most delicious Italian food you can imagine? The Pioppi Diet offers just that, but so much more - lose weight, de-stress and live healthier and longer with this revolutionary new programme.
Pioppi itself, a small Italian village which is home to the healthiest, longest-living people in the world, offers secrets that have never before been shared - until now.
Based on five years of research and drawing on over 100 studies on Pioppi, Dr Aseem Malhotra, a trained cardiologist, has created a plan which is designed to provide readers with the joy and wellbeing of a Mediterranean lifestyle by making small 'marginal gains' over a 21-day period.