Boiled eggs with asparagus and bacon soldiers
Super easy to make and delicious to bite into, try this twist on an English breakfast with added asparagus for a healthier kick.
12 asparagus spears
12 rashers smoked streaky bacon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 large eggs, at room temperature
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Take one rasher of bacon and one asparagus spear and, starting at one end, tightly wrap the bacon around the asparagus. Repeat until you have all the spears assembled.
2. Place the butter and oil in a frying pan large enough to hold all the asparagus at once. When the butter has melted, add the prepared asparagus. Repeat until you have all the spears assembled.
3. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water with a slotted spoon. If you like a really soft, dippy egg, cook for 5½ to 6 minutes. If you like your eggs a little harder, cook for a further minute or two. (Remember, they will become hard boiled if cooked for 9 to 10 minutes.)
4. While the eggs are cooking, turn the asparagus spears every couple of minutes until they are an even golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide between two plates and serve.
This is an edited extract from The Pioppi Diet by Dr Aseem Halhotra & Donal O'Neill, Penguin Books, RRP $24.99.