Camembert Hedgehog Bread
Ahh, the Camembert Hedgehog Bread—a stalwart of Twisted’s funk-cheese repertoire. Trust us, this will be your next dinner party show-stopper. Even the most amateur chef should feel right at home with this dish, but its ease is only half the appeal. All it takes is six ingredients, 10 minutes to make and 20 to bake, and boom, food heaven (and lots of weird dreams to boot).
1 large, whole camembert for baking, all packaging removed
1 large sourdough loaf (or any other large loaf of bread)
2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary, plus a few small sprigs
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus a few slivers
6 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 175ºC.
2. Using the bottom of your camembert box as a stencil, cut a hole in the middle of the loaf. Tear away the bread to make the hole as deep as the camembert.
3. Working around this central cavity, carefully cut your loaf in both directions almost all the way down to the bottom of the loaf (it’s important not to cut through the bottom crust). You want to have 1-inch (2.5-cm) squared individual segments (the perfect size for dunking).
4. Score one side of the camembert and cut away the rind. Pop the cheese, cut-side up, in the bread hole.
5. Mix the chopped rosemary and chopped garlic into the olive oil and spoon all over the loaf, encouraging the flavoured oil into all the slits. Cover the loaf liberally with sea salt flakes. Pop a few mini sprigs of rosemary and a few garlic slivers in the middle of the cheese, along with a little drizzle of olive oil.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and get your mates round!
Photographer: © Ryland, Peters & Small