Caramelised onion and cheese tart
Sweet, hardy and filling, this caramelised onion and cheese tart will be your new favourite dinner recipe.
- 1 package of short crust pastry
- 500g of onions
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Thyme leaves to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 200mL of milk
- 150g of cheddar cheese
1. On a floured surface, roll out pastry. Place in pie dish and chill for 10 minutes.
2. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans, pie weights, or uncooked rice. At 190°C, bake pastry for 10 minutes.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onions, olive oil and thyme for about 15 minutes or until onions are soft and brown. Season with pepper to taste.
4. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and half the cheddar cheese. Pour into unlined pastry.
5. Add onions and sprinkle the rest of the cheddar on top.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until top begins to brown.
This article was written in partnership with Over60.