Cauliflower pizza with hot smoked salmon
Instead of calling up the local pizza parlour why not try your hand at making this healthy Cauliflower pizza with pumpkin wafers, rocket & lemon & dill cashew cream. It sure sounds a bit more exotic than the regular ol' ham and pineapple too right?
Go on, give it a go!
Recipe and Image by: Sunshine and Health
Pizza Base Ingredients (made 2 small bases):
1 cup ground cauliflower (or finely chopped)
1 ½ cups almond meal
1 cup of freshly chopped herbs (I used coriander and parsley from my garden)
2 organic pasture-raised eggs, beaten
Sprinkle of sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Finely sliced pumpkin (enough to cover your two bases. I used a quarter of a medium sized pumpkin)
200 grams of hot smoked salmon (you can use regular smoked salmon, grilled chicken or any other vegetables you like)
Organic wild rocket (one big handful to coat)
Drizzle with Simo’s Lemon & Dill Cashew Cream – click here for the recipe
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife finely cut your pumpkin into wafer thin slices and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and then transfer to pre-heated oven for approx.15 minutes (or until the pumpkin is just cooked through). Set cooked pumpkin aside but keep the oven turned on at same temperature.
- While the pumpkin is cooking, steam the cauliflower until soft and then let cool. Drain as much liquid as possible (I used a nut milk bag) and then mash with a fork.
- Combine the cauliflower, almond meal, eggs, herbs, sea salt and ground pepper in a bowl. Mix through well. (If the mixture is sticky to handle, add up to ½ cup of almond meal. It should be similar consistency to bread dough).
- Divide the mixture in half and place between two sheets of baking paper, on two separate pizza trays. First flatten into a round shape with your hands. Then, using a rolling pin, roll into two small thin circles. Take care to keep the thickness even.
- Once flattened to desired shape and thickness, remove top layer of baking paper and transfer the pizza bases to the oven for 10 minutes. (Make sure to check half-way through).
- Remove from oven and then top with a layer of cooked pumpkin wafers, hot smoked salmon, rocket and a drizzle of cashew cream.
- Return to oven for a further 5 minutes or until heated through.
Best served immediately while still warm with a fresh, organic, crisp salad. Top with extra cashew cream, sea salt and black pepper if desired.