Chicken, beetroot and pistachio salad
Love salads for a light lunch yet looking for something with a winter twist? This chicken, beetroot and pistachio salad is so easy to put together and will surely satisfy!
Recipe by: Cassie White
2 handfuls mixed greens
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup quinoa
1/4 cup parmesan
1 free-range BBQ chook
- First, preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Wrap the beetroot in aluminium foil and bake for about 45 minutes until a skewer can be inserted all the way through. (I bake a few beets and keep the rest for other meals.)
- When they’re cooked, peel the beetroots and leave to cool while you prep the rest of the salad.
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions. I like to add a teaspoon or so of chicken stock to the pan to make the quinoa more flavoursome.
- While that’s cooking, break up your chicken and set aside a few handfuls of white meat. Throw away the skin and unneeded sections, and refrigerate the leftovers.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and dry-roast the pistachios for a few minutes until slightly toasty.
- When the quinoa’s ready divide the greens between two bowls. Chop the beets into chunks and throw them in the bowls, too. Chuck in the pistachios, parmesan and chicken.
- Now add in as much quinoa as you’d like. Chances are you’ll have some left, so refrigerate that too.
- Drizzle over a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and gently toss each salad.
Bonus: you have leftover beets, quinoa and chicken to make another quick meal.