Christmas turkey with chorizo stuffing
Christmas Day needs a roast bird. With this recipe you can have it with stuffing, just like you love and remember, but with none of the guilt. Yum!
Recipe from Clean Living: Eat Clean All Year by Luke Hines and Scott Gooding ($29.99), published by Hachette Australia. - Get 15% OFF the RRP - Order a copy here!
4 leeks, green ends trimmed, halved lengthwise
4 stalks celery
4 lemons, thickly sliced into rounds
100g butter, softened
2 cups white wine
2 cups chicken stock
Sea salt and ground black pepper
1 large red onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
6 fresh chorizo sausages, meat removed from casings
¼ cup finely chopped tarragon
¼ cup lemon thyme leaves
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. To make the chorizo stuffing, melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, then transfer to a large, heat-proof bowl. Let them cool, then add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Season to taste, then set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 180°C. Arrange the leek and celery in a large, deep roasting pan, then top them with half the lemon slices.
3. Rinse the turkey inside and out, then pat it dry. Rest the turkey on top of the veggies, then season inside the cavity and fill with the remaining lemon slices.
4. Carefully push your fingertips underneath the skin that covers the turkey’s breast meat to form a large pocket. Fill the pocket with the chorizo stuffing, covering the breast flesh evenly. Season the top of the turkey, then spread the butter all over the skin. Tie the legs together.
5. Pour the wine and stock into the pan. Cover the turkey with a double sheet of baking paper, then a double sheet of foil. Bake for 3 hours, or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the leg. Remove the foil and baking paper and cook for 30 minutes to brown.
6. Let the turkey rest in the pan, covered with 2 thick tea towels, for at least 20 minutes, then carve and serve with vegetables.