Chunky blue cod sesame ‘fish fingers’
Serve these rustic ‘fish fingers’ with oven-fries and a side salad for a quick and easy dinner, or wrap them in flat bread, or put on a crusty roll, with mixed leaves and a little mayo for a nutritious packed lunch.
1 x 600g piece blue cod fillet, skin off, bones removed
¼ cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon thick natural yoghurt
½ teaspoon grated ginger
2 cups panko (see tips)
¼ cup sesame seeds
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Lemon cheeks, for serving
1. Cut fish into strips about 10cm long. Combine teriyaki sauce, yoghurt and ginger, mix through the fish, cover and set aside to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a wok or deep-fryer to 180ºC.
3. Combine panko and sesame seeds in a shallow dish. Wipe excess marinade from the fish. Coat each piece of fish in the panko mixture and place on a plate.
4. Deep-fry fish, in batches, for 3-5 minutes, until well-coloured. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately with lemon cheeks.
- Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb, it gives a lighter, crunchier result than traditional packaged breadcrumbs, which can be substituted if necessary.
- Alternative species: Flathead, leatherjacket, ling, mirror dory.