Crumbed chicken ribs
If you're looking to entertain with tasty finger food, these deep fried chicken ribs are perfect to get lips smacking!
24 chicken ribs
Rub (Dry spice mix)
1 tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon rosemary powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon celery powder
500 g panko breadcrumbs
50 ml buttermilk
2 cups plain flour
1. Apply liberal coating of rub to each chicken rib and chill ribs in fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Place eggs and buttermilk in a bowl and panko breadcrumbs in a second bowl.
3. Dip the coated ribs into the egg and buttermilk mixture and then coat well with breadcrumbs.
4. Pre-heat deep fryer to 180°C and deep fry chicken ribs in small batches (depending on the size of the fryer) for 3–4 minutes per batch ensuring a golden colored crumb coating.
5. Place cooked ribs on paper towel to drain excess oil.
Use this cooking method with any flavor combination in the rub to suit your preference. These are such good eating on their own but add a range of dipping sauces on the side depending on your crowd - try a Japanese mayo and hot sauce combination.
This is an edited extract from Ribs: With Low and Slow BBQ Guide by Adam Roberts, New Holland Publishers, RRP $45, available from all good bookstores or online.