Custard apple with ginger and lemongrass syrup
Add a zesty boost of flavour to the classic custard apple with this quick recipe that's perfect for entertaining!
This recipe requires 2 large custard apples.
2cm piece of fresh ginger
1 fresh lemongrass stick
80g caster sugar
4 cups custard apple segments, seeds removed
⅓ cup pure apple juice, no added sugar/no preservatives
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
1 lime, zested
1. Peel ginger, slice thinly. Bruise (lightly crush with the handle of a large knife) lemongrass and slice into rings.
2. Put sugar and water in a small heavy based saucepan. Over a low heat stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and add ginger and lemongrass.
3. Simmer for 8 minutes or until syrup reduces and thickens slightly. Remove from heat and cool completely. The syrup can be refrigerated until needed.
4. Strain syrup before serving.
5. Divide custard apple between 4 glasses. Add apple juice, zest and lime juice to cooled syrup. Pour equal amounts of syrup over custard apple and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Custard Apples Australia.