Festive hanging biscuits
Simply decorated festive biscuits add a touch of yum to your tree or home. Perfect for hanging just about anywhere, or to wrap up beautifully and give as a Christmas gift.
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/fan-assisted 160°C/gas mark 4. Line 2 large baking trays with silicone baking sheets or greaseproof paper.
2. Cut a large piece of greaseproof paper and roll out the gingerbread on top of it to 5mm. Using any Christmas themed cutter, cut out pieces of dough and use a palette knife to transfer them to the lined baking trays. Leave space for them to spread a little.
3. Using a straw, press one end into each of the biscuits where you would like to thread a ribbon to hang, twist the straw and pull away to remove a circle of dough. Or use a skewer to make a hole.
4. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes until hard. Bake in the oven in batches for 6–10 minutes depending on size, until golden brown at the edges. Check the hanging holes are still large enough to thread ribbon through; if not, use the straw or skewer again to increase the size. Leave to cool for 5 minutes on the trays then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
5. Add a little water to the royal icing until you reach soft peak consistency. Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a fine nozzle. Decorate the biscuits with dots, lines and swirls then add the sprinkles. Leave to cool completely for 4 hours before tying with ribbon and hanging.
Have fun with the hanging materials – use twine, coloured ribbon or lace.