Flourless orange cake
Anne Taylor shares this delicious cake which has no butter or oil, no flour and is gluten free. It is very moist and perfect as a dessert during the summer months.
- 250 grams of cooked (whole) oranges. *See Note
- 6 egg
- 250 grams Castor Sugar
- 250 g Almond Meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Place whole oranges in a saucepan of water, cover and simmer gently for two hours.* Set aside to cool.
- Cut oranges into quarters and remove seeds. Puree oranges together with the skin in a food processor. Measure out 250g of the pulp. This step is essential so the cake is not too mushy and will set.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Fold in combined almond meal, baking powder and orange pulp.
- Pour into a greased and floured 20cm springform (can use oil spray) and bake at 180 for 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin.
- If desired, serve with orange slices, marinated in Cointreau or ice with cream cheese icing.
- * I cook up to four to five oranges at a time and measure out 250g lots and put in the freezer for the next cake. You will make this cake time and time again and this saves cooking oranges each time.