Garden-fresh asparagus soup
Love the healthy snap of a bright-green new-season asparagus stalk? Enjoy their uniquely grassy, sweet flavour and their healthy-bacteria-boosting proteins in this fresh and uplifting soup.
Recipe and image from 'Heal Your Gut' by Lee Holmes (Murdoch Books), RRP $29.99.
Shop now and save 15% on the RRP when you buy 'Heal Your Gut' from Booktopia.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
2 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped, plus extra, curled in cold water, to serve
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 medium turnips, peeled and diced
750 ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
270 ml tin additive-free coconut milk
175 g (1 bunch) asparagus, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the spring onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft. Add the curry powder, ginger, turmeric, lemon zest, juice and turnip and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, coconut milk and asparagus, and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes or until the turnip is tender, then add the salt.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then purée the mixture in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Reheat gently if necessary, then drizzle with olive oil, grind over black pepper and garnish with curled spring onion.