Gluten free Banana bread
Bananas are a terrific energy food and a great source of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. They add moisture and sweetness to baked goods, which means you can reduce the amount of sweetener and oil considerably.
Almonds are packed full of protein + heart healthy fats that are kind to your arteries and can help lower cholesterol as well as keep blood sugars stable. This makes a nice change from typical store bought and cafe style banana breads that are generally high in refined white flour, sugar and saturated fats. I love using macadamia nut oil when baking, it’s a delicious source of monounsaturated fats that can help support good health and wellbeing.
Recipe courstesy of The Healthy Chef - Teresa Cutter
300 g (10 1/2 oz) smashed ripe banana
3 free range / organic eggs
60 g ( 2 oz / 2 tablespoons) raw honey or organic maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
60 g (2 oz/ 1/4 cup) macadamia nut oil or cold pressed olive oil
half teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda ( bicarb soda) + 1 tbsp lemon juice
200 g ( 2 cups/ 7 oz) ) almond meal
25 g (1/4 cup / 3/4 oz) ground flaxseed (linseed) or chia seed
Preheat your oven to 160 C.
- Combine smashed banana, honey, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, bicarb and lemon. ( the lemon activates the bicarb). You can do this by hand in a large bowl or with a good blender such as a Vitamix.
- Add the almond meal and flaxseed and mix well.
- Lightly oil one loaf tin and then coat liberally with extra almond meal or desiccated coconut – this will prevent the cake from sticking. The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
- Spoon batter into the tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour ( a skewer inserted into the centre should come out dry).
- Cover the top with foil if over-browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out the loaf.
- Makes 1 loaf serves 12.
- Keeps in the fridge covered for up to 1 week.
Ricotta + Honey
Plain + Simple
Sliced banana + blueberry + raw honey
I love to decorate the top of my banana bread before baking with sliced banana or a handful of chopped walnuts and a lightly sprinkle of cinnamon.
To pump up the protein – Add 2 tablespoons of my Healthy Chef WPI or Organic Pea in place of the flaxseed.