Gourmet seafood: Moroccan glazed BBQ prawns
Ready to get the ‘prawns on the barbie’ this summer? It's never been this easy to prepare gourmet prawns for friends and family. Give it a go!
Recipe from Passionfruit Australia.
For the marinade/glaze:
1/2 bunch coriander (roots & stems)
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp mild paprika powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
Chilli powder, to taste
Salt & pepper
For the remaining dish:
24 peeled, deveined, raw prawns, tail on
16 bamboo skewers
1/2 bunch coriander (leaves, from above)
Green salad and crusty bread, to serve
1. Remove passionfruit pulp and place in a bowl, microwave for 30 seconds on high, then strain through a fine sieve. Reserve the juice and discard the seeds (optional).
2. Thoroughly wash coriander and pick leaves, set aside for decoration. Chop the stems and roots and place in a mortar and pestle along with some salt. Grind to a paste, then mix in olive oil, all the spices, and passionfruit juice.
3. Place marinade and prawns in a bowl and mix thoroughly to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, soak skewers in some cold water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning.
5. Using two bamboo skewers at a time, thread three prawns onto each of the skewers so that the prawns are semi straight and sit snugly together. Keep remaining marinade and mix in the passionfruit and a little extra olive oil if you need to loosen it—this will be the glaze.
6. Heat BBQ to a medium heat and place prawns on grill, baste constantly with the passionfruit glaze, turning every so often, and cook until the prawns are just cooked through (you will see when they change colour).
7. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves and a side of crusty bread and green salad.