Green pea and asparagus soup
Bursting with veggie goodness, this yummy soup makes a nutritious light meal served with your favourite bread.
2-3 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups frozen green peas
1/2 cup roasted or raw cashews
Salt flakes and pepper to taste
Fresh herbs such as baby basil leaves to serve
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and stir-fry onion for 1 minute. Stir in garlic, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add asparagus and stir over heat for 1 minute. Stir in stock, cover and bring to the boil. Cook over low to medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in peas and cashews and return to the boil. Reduce heat and cook until asparagus and peas are just tender and still bright green, 2-3 minutes.
3. Blend until smooth, reheat gently and season to taste. Serve with freshly ground pepper and fresh herbs.
- For a thinner consistency add a little more vegetable stock when blending.
- Adding cashew nuts helps provide a lovely creamy texture without needing cream.
- For this recipe to be gluten free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.
- For this recipe to be dairy-free, avoid using prepared and packaged foods containing dairy products. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.