How to: make strawberry jam
Strawberry jam is a fridge essential that lasts is multi-purpose, delicious, and best of all, easy to make. Here is a simple way to make a home-cooked strawberry jam that is more delicious than it’s packaged supermarket counterpart.
See: How to make your own Pectin here first.
Once the pectin is ready, you are then ready to create magical concoction that is your own homemade strawberry jam.
1 vanilla pod
1kg strawberries, washed and tops removed
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Put seeds in a saucepan with the strawberries and pectin.
- Mush up the mixture with a potato masher, leaving a few chunky bits of strawberry to add texture.
- Place pan on medium heat, bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, skim off any foam on the top of the jam then leave to cool.
- After 15 minutes, divide the jam between the jars and leave to cool completely. Cover the jars and place them in the fridge.
You can also transfer this recipe to a myriad of other fruits and berries such as blueberries, raspberries or Davidson plums. Get creative and have a play around with different fruits and recipes and literally enjoy the exquisite fruits of your labour.
The jam will keep for about a week. If you’re looking for more recipe ideas. Spread this strawberry jam over these scrumptious Lavender scones.