In-season appetiser: passionfruit kingfish ceviche
Looking for a refreshing appetiser for party season this summer? This delicious dish is a unique flavour sensation and is a snap to prepare.
Bonus: this is a high protein and low kilojoule dish with extra doses of vitamin C and fibre!
Recipe from Passionfruit Australia.
1 long green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, crushed
2 pinches ground cumin
Cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice
300g kingfish fillet
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 radishes, thinly sliced (optional)
Coriander sprigs, to serve
1. Halve the passionfruit and remove the juice and pulp.
2. Mix with the chopped chilli, garlic, cumin, pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
3. Remove skin and any bones from the kingfish and slice into very thin slices (approximately 3mm wide).
4. Place in a non-metallic bowl and pour over the passionfruit mixture, lightly tossing to coat.
5. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until fish has becomes opaque.
6. To serve, arrange the kingfish on a large serving platter with red onion and radish (if using). Drizzle with remaining passionfruit mixture and sprinkle with coriander sprigs.
Serve with small slices of toasted baguette if desired, or wrap in baby butter lettuce leaves.