Lychee with coconut wafers
A simple and delicate dessert that brings a refreshing taste of the tropics.
2 cups shredded coconut
2 egg whites
⅓ cup plain flour
⅓ cup caster sugar
300ml sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons icing sugar, sifted
450g lychees, peeled
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Place the coconut, egg whites, flour and caster sugar in a large bowl and mix until fully combined.
2. Take spoonfuls of the mixture and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Press flat to make 8 thin discs approximately 12cm in diameter.
3. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove and set aside. Allow to cool to room temperature.
4. While the wafers are cooling, mix together the sour cream, vanilla and icing sugar in a small bowl.
5. To assemble, place a coconut wafer on each plate, top with some sour cream mix, then some lychees. Repeat the layers and serve dusted with extra icing sugar.
Recipe and image thanks to Australian Lychee Growers Association.