Miguel’s salad of champignons
There is nothing more Australian than a cookout with all your mates, so why not throw some mushrooms on a barbie to create a delightful al fresco salad?
“Portabella mushrooms are like the steak of mushrooms,” says celebrity chef Miguel Maestre. “They’ve got more surface to caramelise and they’re perfect for summer barbecues.”
5 large portabella mushrooms
Salt and pepper
1 sprig rosemary
2 head baby cos, washed, quartered on ice
5 slices Serrano Ham
50g haloumi diced, grilled
2 soft boiled eggs (6 minutes) cut in quarters
5 crispy croutons
Handful shaved parmesan
200ml light Greek yogurt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp grated parmesan
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 anchovy finely chopped (optional)
1 splash Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper
½ bunch chives finely chopped
1. Rub mushrooms with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary.
2. Place mushrooms on BBQ and grill both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cut lettuce in quarters, wash and refresh with iced water. Set on paper towel to dry.
4. Place the Serrano ham between two pieces of baking paper. Lay this between two roasting trays and place on the BBQ for 8 minutes. Remove and dry on paper towel.
5. To make the dressing put all dressing ingredients into a blender and mix until combined.
6. To plate the salad – submerge each lettuce quarter briefly into a jar filled with the dressing, allow to drip, so they are not totally soaked. Add haloumi, soft boiled eggs, croutons, parmesan, crispy Serrano ham and grilled mushrooms.
Recipe by Miguel Maestre for Australian Mushrooms.