Mini fruit tartlets
These mini fruit tartlets can be "dressed up" or "dressed down" depending on the situation.
Serve with beautiful fresh berries for a dinner party or half a peach or slices of pear or kiwi for a casual cup of afternoon tea. The tarts will travel well in a sealed plastic container and easy are to prepare ahead of time for your next picnic. Here are more ideas on how to pack the perfect picnic.
Recipe as seen on: dailygourmet.co.uk
200 g plain flour
100 g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
3-4 tbsp cold water
300 ml semi-skimmed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 egg yolks (free range)
2 tbsp plain flour
100g caster sugar
Mixed fruits of your choice (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, etc.)
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your hand, until it starts looking like breadcrumbs, work quickly to prevent the the dough becoming warm.
- Add the water slowly to the pastry and mix with a cold knife until it starts forming a dough, you can add more water if the pastry is too dry.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and put into a fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan (don't bring to boil).
- In a large bowl whisk the yolks and sugar, when smooth sift in the flour, combine together.
- Add the warm milk (slowly) to the mixture. Whisk continuously.
- Put the mixture back into the saucepan, gently bring to boil whisking continuosly until thick and creamy. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted).
- Line the pastry in your mini tart tins, prick the base with a fork , put it into the oven and blind-bake it for 12 minutes (to blind-bake it, cover the pastry with baking paper and fill it with baking beans).
- Remove the beans and the paper, bake for another 12 minutes, until the pastry is golden.
- When baked, remove from the oven and put on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fill the bases with creme patissiere, smooth the surface out with a spoon or spatula.
- Arrange your selection of fresh, sliced fruits on top and serve.