With its tangy, tropical flavour, passionfruit is great in baking and desserts, and seems a natural fit in this version of the ever-popular lemon delicious. Lemon delicious seems to be the unique name given to a self-saucing pudding in Australia and New Zealand. Elsewhere, it is generally referred to as a lemon pudding.
3 eggs, separated
110g (½ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
60ml (¼ cup) passionfruit pulp and seeds
30g unsalted butter, melted
250ml (1 cup) milk
35g (¼ cup) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly grease a 1.5-2 litre (6-8 cup capacity) baking dish with butter.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar using electric beaters until pale and creamy.
3. Beat in the passionfruit pulp until combined, then beat in the melted butter, milk and flour until well combined. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Fold the egg whites, in two batches, into the pudding mixture.
5. Pour into the prepared dish and cook in the oven for 50-55 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Serve hot with cream.
For an equally citrusy and zesty flavour, use lime juice instead of lemon juice, or a mixture of both.
This is an edited extract from Tuck In: Good Hearty Food Any Time by Ross Dobson, Murdoch Books, RRP $39.99.
Photo credit: Steve Brown