Pasta with spinach, asparagus and prosciutto
Spaghetti is a classic option and this recipe is a particularly tasty choice.
Recipe from Australian Asparagus Council.
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 slices prosciutto
1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 teaspoon sliced red chillies
3 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced
1/2 cup grated parmesan
Additional parmesan to serve
1. Bring 4 litres of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt to the boil in a large pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over low to medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook, shaking pan over heat until nuts are lightly toasted. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Heat oil in pan and cook prosciutto until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add spring onions, chillies and garlic to pan and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in mustard and lemon juice, then remove from the heat and set aside.
5. Cook spaghetti in boiling water until almost tender. Add asparagus and return pasta to the boil. Cook until asparagus and spaghetti are just tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and strain pasta and asparagus through a colander. Quickly return pasta to pan.
6. Add spring onion mixture, spinach leaves and parmesan to pasta and stir to combine and reheat.
7. Break prosciutto into pieces. Serve pasta scattered with the pine nuts, prosciutto and extra parmesan.
- You can replace the prosciutto with pancetta or ham.
- For a tasty vegetarian alternative, replace the prosciutto with haloumi cheese.