No cake book would be complete without a recipe for the much-loved Australian meringue cake topped with fresh cream and seasonal fruit. Unfortunately, Pavlova has the reputation of being difficult to master, but as long as you have time and patience, your results will be great!
4 large eggwhites
220g caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon white vinegar
whipped cream, to serve
seasonal fruit, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line a heavy baking tray with baking paper.
2. Using electric beaters, beat the eggwhites on medium speed until soft peaks form, adding a pinch of salt. Begin adding sugar, a spoonful at a time, then increase the speed to high and continue beating until the mixture is thick and glossy.
3. Sift over the cornflour and add the vinegar. Fold into the eggwhites using a spatula and very gentle strokes.
4. Pile the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and put in the preheated oven. Immediately turn the heat down to 130°C and bake for 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave meringue to cool overnight.
5. Before serving, top with whipped cream, passionfruit, berries, kiwi or other seasonal fruits of your choice.
Recipe and image from Bake Your Cake & Eat it Too (New Holland Publishers), RRP $29.99, newhollandpublishers.com.