Perfect pumpkin patties
Looking for a healthy dish that doesn’t compromise on the taste factor? Well these pumpkins patties from community member, Elizabeth Gardner, are both delicious and wholesome. Serve them with salad or in a bun to make a healthy burger.
- 1-kilo pumpkin, cut into slices (leave skin on)
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 3 slices ham, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for frying
1. Cook pumpkin with your preferred method and set aside.
2. Add onion, ham, garlic and egg into a bowl and combine.
3. When cool enough to handle, remove pumpkin skin and mash pumpkin until smooth.
4. When cool, add pumpkin to bowl and stir. Add herbs and rice flour and stir. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
5. Set in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
6. Heat olive oil in a pan not letting it get too hot.
7. Measure out spoonfuls of the mixture, dab them in rice flour and then add to pan. Flatten out patties and cook evenly until golden on both sides. Or, if you like them extra crisp, cook until crunchy on the outside.
Article created in partnership with Over60