Portuguese chicken skewers with sauté chilli mango
Spice up your weeknight dinner with these tasty chicken skewers, complete with the fresh taste of mango.
800g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs Portuguese spice mix
¼ cup oregano leaves
Sauté chilli mango:
2 Calypso mangoes, peeled, diced
1 cup white sugar
2 large limes, juiced
¼ cup fish sauce
¼ cup water
1 long red chilli, seeds in, finely chopped
4 green shallots, thinly sliced
1. Cut the chicken into 2cm pieces. Combine the oil and spice mix in a large bowl. Add the chicken and oregano. Stir to coat.
2. Thread chicken onto 8 skewers. Cover and refrigerate while making the sauté chilli mango.
3. Pour sugar into a non-stick frying pan. Place over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until melted and deep golden colour.
4. Remove from heat, add combined lime juice, fish sauce and water (be careful mixture may spit).
5. Return to heat and cook, stirring over medium heat until the toffee dissolves and syrup is smooth.
6. Bring to the boil, boil gently 5-8 minutes until syrup thickens, stir in the chilli. Add the mango and toss gently until mango well coated. Remove from the heat, scatter over the green shallots.
7. Preheat barbecue plate or grill over medium high heat until hot. Barbecue chicken skewers for 10 minutes, turning often until cooked through. Serve with sauté chilli mango.
This recipe is delicious served over steamed long grain rice! Calypso mangoes in particular are perfect for this recipe as the fruit is firmer so the mango will slice easily and hold its shape when heated. It's also fibre-free so you don’t get those “bits” stuck in your teeth.
Recipe courtesy of Calypso Mango.