Portuguese chicken wings
This is a tasty, cheap way to feed your family or a crowd; the spectacular aroma on the barbecue draws everyone in.
14–16 plump chicken wings
12 fresh bay leaves, whole
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1½ tablespoons smoked paprika
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 fresh bay leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 handful oregano leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
2. Cut the tip off each chicken wing and discard (or freeze them to make stock later). Coat the chicken wings in the marinade and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Skewer the wings and thread the bay leaves between the chicken pieces. Depending on the length of skewers, you might fit 3–4 wings on each.
3. Cook over a barbecue or in a chargrill pan over medium–low heat for 30–40 minutes, rotating for even cooking and basting with any remaining marinade. Serve with a gorgeous salad.
- If you have a lid on your barbecue, close it: keeping the heat in will speed up the cooking time.
- If you don’t own any large metal skewers you can use bamboo skewers. Just soak them in water for 30 minutes before use to prevent burning.
Extract from Delicious Every Day by Anna Gare ($39.99, Murdoch Books) out now.