Rowie Dillon's delicate feathery sponge cake
Queen of gluten free, Rowie Dillon shares her recipe for a deliciously light sponge cake.
9 eggs separated
350g caster sugar (1 ½ cups)
Juice of 1 lemon
200g Gluten free cornflour
375g (3 cups) pure icing sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease and line 20cm round cake tin.
2. Place egg yolks, caster sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat with electric beaters on high speed for 5-8 minutes until the mixture is pale and thick.
3. Sift in the cornflour and gently beat on low speed for up to 2 minutes, until the mixture is pale and creamy and the sugar is dissolved.
4. Beat the egg whites in a very large bowl until stiff peaks form.
5. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites and fold in gently with a spatula, drawing the egg yolk mixture up into the egg white mixture.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-45 minutes, until golden on top or when a skewer inserted in to the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes.
7. To make the icing; sift the sugar into a bowl. Add the lemon and lime zest and juice and stir until lump free. If the icing is too thick, add a tablespoon of water, a few drops at a time, until the consistency of thickened cream (so it coats your cake and is not translucent).
8. Turn the cake out onto a cake stand or serving plate and pour the icing over the top, allowing it to randomly run down the side.