Saffron & pistachio custard
Recipe and image by: Mamans Kitchen
1/2 tsp saffron threads
110g wheat starch
40g pistachios, shells removed and crushed
1. Grind saffron threads, add 2tbs hot water and put aside
2. In a saucepan mix water and starch then add the milk, over medium heat
3. Stir constantly until mixture thickens
4. Add sugar and diluted saffron to the saucepan and mix well
5. Mix in one-third to one-half of the crushed pistachios while still warm, and sprinkle the remainder on top of the custard to serve.
This custard will harden to a jelly-like consistency after it has been poured into a dish and cooled, making it ideal when layering in trifles, etc. You may also like to sprinkle chocolate shavings or berries on top after the custard has cooled down. Otherwise, serve the custard while hot for a warming sweet treat!