Salmon rillettes and pear relish
For when you feel like something a little bit fancy, try this delectable combination of salmon and pear relish!
2 packham pears, peeled and sliced
50ml olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
60ml cider vinegar
½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
½ tsp mustard seeds, crushed
2 bay leaves
100g smoked salmon
1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and ground
1 bunch of dill
1 preserved lemon, finely chopped
20g capers, finely chopped
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
50ml crème fraiche
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, juiced
12 nasturtium leaves, to serve
For the pear relish
1. In a heavy based pot, sauté the red onion until slightly caramelised, then add spices, sugar, vinegar and bay leaves.
2. Cook until the excess liquid has reduced away, add pear and cook for further 10 minutes. Cool and set aside.
For the rillettes
3. Steam the salmon for about six minutes or until just cooked. Place in a bowl with the smoked salmon and gently flake together.
4. Add chopped dill, preserved lemon, capers, spices, butter and crème fraiche and gently mix together to combine. Season with salt and pepper and place in the fridge to set.
For the endive salad
5. Cut endives in half lengthways and gently colour them in a hot pan or a chargrill until cooked through.
6. Season with salt, olive oil and lemon juice and set aside.
7. On a serving plate, place a large quenelle of salmon mix on the plate
followed by a spoonful of pear relish, charred endive and garnish with
nasturtium leaves. Serve immediately.
Recipe thanks to Australian Pears.