Simple Portuguese BBQ Chicken and Salad
A great share plate with friends and you can make it as spicy as you like.
- 2 long red chillies
- 10 hot small red chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, get the really good spanish type
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of canola or vegetable oil
1 whole chicken jointed, ask your butcher to do this
Salad to Accompany
- Good handful of mixed salad leaves, choose one with lots of peppery rocket
- Packet of cherry tomatoes halved
- Sliced red onion
- Black olives pitted
- Dressing of 2 TBsp of olive oil, 1Tbsp of lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper and a teaspoon of dried oregano.
1. Blend all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor but do not over process.
Reserve a small amount for basting.
2. Cut the chicken into pieces and cover in the marinade. Refrigerate and turn in the marinade regularly for an hour or more.
3. On a high BBQ sear all of the chicken pieces then lower the temperature and close the lid for another 30 minutes, turning now and then. (note: you can also finish the chicken in the oven once you have charred it, this delivers a really moist chicken)
4. Close to service bast the chicken once more with the left over marinade but don’t turn it, you want the marinade on the surface.
Serve on the salad on a platter.