Skinny mini rolls
These are fun to make so get the family to help. It’s also a good idea to make lots, as they are great for the lunchbox and to take along on picnics.
Recipe from the Australian Asparagus Council.
12 sheets filo pastry
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup grated parmesan or grated tasty cheese
12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
Salt and pepper
To Serve: Add chutney, relish or aioli
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Combine egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl.
- Lay one sheet of filo at a time on a clean bench. Brush a 1 cm strip at furthest edge of pastry with a little of egg mixture. Sprinkle lower half of pastry with a little parmesan.
- Place 1 asparagus spear at bottom edge of pastry and season with pepper. Fold the 2 side edges of pastry over asparagus spear and roll it firmly in pastry, pressing down strip at end to secure.
- Repeat with remaining filo pastry sheets and asparagus.
- Brush a baking tray with a little oil and arrange rolls on tray. Brush rolls lightly with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until pastry is lightly browned and crispy at the ends, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with chutney, relish or aioli.
If you wish to serve cooked asparagus with rolls, brush a second baking tray with a little olive oil and arrange asparagus in a single layer on tray. Brush asparagus with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes at the same time as the rolls to use the same oven heat.