Steamed barramundi fillets with lime, ginger & shiitake
Steaming is a quick way to cook, without the need for oil, and it keeps food moist and flavoursome. Try this delicious steamed Barra tonight!
100g shiitake, sliced (see tips)
4 x 180g pieces barramundi fillet, skin on, bones removed
3 teaspoons grated ginger
¼ cup light soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted (see tips)
4 green onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
Steamed rice, for serving
1. Half fill a wok or large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Place a plate with a lip in a steamer basket. Arrange the shiitake on the plate and place the fillets on top of them.
2. Combine the ginger, soy, lime juice and sesame oil. Place steamer over wok or saucepan, spoon the soy sauce mixture over the fish, cover and steam for 10-12 minutes until the fish is opaque and flesh flakes easily when tested with a fork.
3. Arrange fillets and shiitake on plates, top with sesame seeds and green onion and spoon the cooking liquid over the top. Serve with steamed rice.
- Shiitake are Asian mushrooms available fresh from many fruit and vegetable shops; if they are unavailable use oyster mushrooms.
- Toast sesame seeds in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes, tossing gently to prevent them burning, or under a griller (but watch them closely).
- Alternative species: Blue-eye trevalla, mulloway, silver perch.