Sticky beef rib and beurre bosc pear
This sticky beef recipe is messily delightful, with sliced pears for an added health kick to your meal!
2kg beef short ribs
5 litres water
3 cups Chinese cooking wine
2 cups dark soy
1 cup light soy
1½ cups white sugar
1 cup ginger roughly chopped
10 garlic gloves crushed
1 bunch of green shallots roughly chopped
3 cinnamon quills
8 star anise whole
1 orange, zest removed
2 beurre bosc pears pealed and finely sliced
1 bunch sea parsley picked
1 small kohlrabi, peeled and finely sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
50ml Chinese black vinegar or balsamic vinegar
For the beef
1. Place all ingredients except for the meat in a stockpot and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes to bring out flavour.
2. To prepare the beef ribs, cut excess fat away and place in the simmering stock for 2½-3 hours, keeping in mind that the beef should be under the stock at all times. It is a good idea to place a piece of baking paper over the top of the beef as this helps keep it submerged.
3. Once cooked, remove from the stove and let the beef steep for about 1 hour.
For the pear and kohlrabi salad
4. Place sliced pear, kohlrabi, sea parsley and native pepper berry in a bowl.
5. Season with salt, lemon juice and a splash of olive oil. Set aside.
For the sticky sauce
6. In a pan, add 200ml of braising liquid, Chinese black vinegar and sugar and reduce to a thick sticky sauce.
7. Slice ribs and place on a serving platter, pour over the reduced sauce and garnish with the pear and kohlrabi salad.
Recipe thanks to Australian Pears.