Gwyneth Paltrow's Tikka masala roast chicken
For this fun twist on a classic, a simple roast chicken is amped up with the complex flavors of Indian chicken tikka masala. The yogurt helps keep the chicken moist, and the natural sugar in the tomato paste creates a beautifully burnished, crispy skin. A bonus is that it's gluten-free!
2 garlic cloves, very finely grated or minced
1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and very finely grated or minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
¼ cup whole milk yogurt
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon tandoori spice
1½ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 whole chicken (roughly 1½ to 2 kgs), spatchcocked or butterflied
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, yogurt, garam masala, tandoori spice, salt, and olive oil.
3. Rub the marinade all over the chicken, making sure to get as much as possible underneath the skin.
4. Place the chicken on a wire rack positioned over an aluminum foil–lined baking sheet (or in a roasting pan or baking dish) and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check after 40 minutes, and if the chicken is browning too much, cover with foil.
5. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.