Easy to make and a great way to include more delicious veggies in family meals.
Recipe from Australian Asparagus Council.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped finely
200-250g pumpkin, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped finely or crushed
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
3 cups vegetable stock
2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced
1/3 cup grated parmesan
Salt flakes and pepper to taste
Shaved parmesan and baby basil leaves to serve
1. Bring stock to the boil in a saucepan. Meanwhile heat oil in a deep frying pan and stir-fry onion and pumpkin over medium to high heat for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add rice and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Add garlic and tomatoes, stir in 1 cup stock and cook risotto over low heat, stirring occasionally, until stock is absorbed.
3. Stir in second cup of stock and continue cooking risotto until stock is absorbed.
4. Add third cup of stock and asparagus and continue cooking until rice is cooked and asparagus is tender.
5. Stir in grated parmesan, salt and pepper. Serve at once with shaved parmesan and baby basil leaves.
- Make a double quantity so you have tasty leftovers to heat up the next day.
- Add 1- 2 tablespoons basil pesto for a punchier flavour.
- For this recipe to be gluten-free, avoid using stocks, sauces and condiments containing wheat. Take care to check ingredient labels on all products you use.