Waffles with sautéed mushrooms & maple bacon
The perfect combination of sweet and savoury, these waffles make for an ideal breakfast in bed!
8 (200g) rashers streaky bacon
¼ cup maple syrup
1 egg, separated
1 tbsp caster sugar
¾ cup (175ml) milk
80g butter, melted
1 cup (140g) self-raising flour
400g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
2 tbsp chives, sliced
Sour cream and chives to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place bacon in a single layer and brush with maple syrup. Cook for 20 minutes or until crisp.
3. Place egg yolk, milk, 60g melted butter and flour together in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Whisk egg whites and sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy and gently fold into flour mixture.
4. Preheat a waffle iron. Using ¼ cup of the waffle batter at a time. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden.
5. Melt remaining butter in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly golden.
6. Place waffles on serving plates. Top with maple bacon, mushrooms, sour cream and chives.
Recipe and images thanks to Australian Mushrooms.