Yo Yo Biscuits
For delicious, melt in your mouth baking treats look no further than the traditional Yo Yo biscuit. Yo Yo biscuits hold a lot of sentimental value for many families - so why not indulge in a pre-Christmas treat with these creamy, delightful shortbreads joined together by icing.
250 grams butter, softened
½ cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 ¾ cups plain flour
½ cup custard powder
1 cup pure icing sugar
Fresh lemon juice (or passionfruit pulp for a change)
Combine to a smooth consistency.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, custard powder and vanilla essence and mix well to a dough.
- Shape by hand into walnut-sized balls. Place on tray lined with baking paper, about 5 cm apart. Press a fork to the top of each biscuit to slightly flatten.
- Bake for about 12 minutes until golden. Allow to cool on trays.
- Use icing to sandwich two biscuits together and – voila – yo-yos.
Recipe makes about a dozen yo-yos. Double or triple recipe to feed the masses.