Advertisement

The second instalment of the BBC’s controversial documentary about the royal family has been renamed after Prince Harry criticised it.

The UK’s Sunday Telegraph reported that the second documentary will be called ‘Sussexit’ rather than ‘Megxit’ following remarks from the prince saying the title was a “misogynistic” phrase “created by a troll”.

Part two of the controversial documentary series is expected to document the reasons why the Sussexes stepped down from royal duties. The Telegraph has reported that it will examine the effect of  Diana’s relationship with the press on Harry and Prince William as well.

Claims that Harry and Meghan lacked support while they were royals are likely to be aired, as well as an unknown situation where a senior member of the royal household helped a tabloid in its case against Meghan.

The controversially-named sequel comes after Part One, The Princes and the Press, prompted the royal family to issue a rare joint statement condemning its “overblown and unfounded” claims.

Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace and Clarence House came together to share their anger over not having the opportunity to vet the documentary before it was broadcast.

“A free, responsible and open Press is of vital importance to a healthy democracy,” the statement directed at the BBC read.

“However, too often overblown and unfounded claims from unnamed sources are presented as facts and it is disappointing when anyone, including the BBC, gives them credibility.”

Harry has previously called out the use of the term ‘Megxit’ to refer to his and Meghan’s decision to step away from royal life.

Appearing on a panel hosted by WIRED Magazine earlier this month, the prince said the term was originally coined by an internet troll.

“Maybe people know this and maybe they don’t, but the term Megxit was or is a misogynistic term, and it was created by a troll, amplified by royal correspondents, and it grew and grew and grew into mainstream media,” he said during the panel.

“But it began with a troll.”

The final part of the BBC documentary is due to air on Monday night.

Image: Getty Images

This article first appeared on Over60.

Never miss a deal again - sign up now!